We all know there are unlimited shopping possibilities here in the Valley, from small artisanal shops to the designer outlet stores. But let’s be frank – the vast majority of shoppers will be women, am I right? I always feel sorry for those men sitting forlornly in Nordstrom, listening to the pianist for hours while their wives hunt the sales racks.
Luckily, there are quite a few distractions hereabouts for the male species, freeing up the womenfolk to tend to the shopping lists. Here are just a few ideas to ensure that everyone comes home happy.
- Drive some balls – or play a full nine holes at the Vintners’ Golf Club (7901 Solano Avenue, Yountville; 707-944-1992).
- Try some bodacious barbecue – The Bounty Hunter (975 First Street, Napa; 707-226-3976) offers an unbeatable combination of BBQ ribs (or “Beer Can Chicken”) and a list of 40 wines by the glass (they also have spirits and beer menus).
- Chill out at a sports bar – Take your pick, we’ve got quite a few from Napa to Calistoga: Norman Rose Tavern (1401 First Street, Napa; 707-258-1516); Pizzeria Tra Vigne (1016 Main Street, St. Helena; 707-967-9999), Ana’s Cantina (1205 Main Street, St. Helena; 707-963-4921), and Hydro Bar and Grill (1403 Lincoln Avenue, Calistoga; 707-942-9777).
- Shoot some pool – Or play some darts at Billco’s Billiards, with ten pool tables, 7 steel-tip dart boards, and a full menu of brews and food. (1234 Third Street, Napa; 707-226-7506).
- Explore some micro-breweries – Who says Napa is only about wine? It also has some excellent craft breweries, including Napa Smith Brewery (1 Executive Way, Napa; 707-254-7167), Downtown Joe’s Brewery and Restaurant (902 Main Street, Napa; 707-258-2337), and Calistoga Inn Restaurant and Brewery (1250 Lincoln St, Calistoga; 707-942-4101). Billco’s and Norman Rose Tavern also serve microbrews and imports on tap.
- Rent a motorcycle – What better way to see the Valley than with the wind on your face and a Harley underneath you? There are several places to rent motorcycles of all makes and vintages, including NVR Adventures (1351 Second Street, Napa; 707-681-5439), Nieman’s (1132 Main Street, St. Helena; 707-963-4618), and Adventure Motorcycle Rental (707-595-2555).
- Take pilot lessons – Always been meaning to get your pilot’s license? What are you waiting for? Get started at the Napa Jet Center (2030 Airport Rd, Napa; 707-603-1210).
- Visit a classic car collection – Check out the vintage autos while you taste some excellent estate vintages at Sullivan Vineyards (1090 Galleron Road, Rutherford; 707-963-9646).
Photo Credit: Sullivan Vineyards